I was honored to be invited to talk about volunteering and technical leadership at the 2018 All-India IEEE Computer Society Students and Young Professionals Congress in Goa.
The cover art from the 2016 IEEE Software special issue for which I was guest editor, on “The Future of Software Engineering.” I led a team of software experts from around the world to look at where software engineering is headed, including: Anita Carleton (CMU/ SEI, USA), Jeromy Carriere (Google, USA), Rafael Prikladnicki (PUCRS, Brazil), and Dongmei Zhang (Microsoft Research, China).
- Helped design and pilot a Portfolio Review process in 2016, which achieved a defensible analysis of the health and relevance of Society products and services. The process resulted in improvements to the Society’s financial posture.
- Launched a digital edition of IEEE Software in January 2012, followed by an enhanced multimedia version in September 2012. During my term, we met our goal of embedding 4 to 6 multimedia items in every issue
- Established the Software Experts Summit in 2011 as an annual one-day public event, co-located with the IEEE Software board meeting, featuring presentations by thought leaders from the magazine and the local hosting organization. Our ability to attract important sponsors meant that this event broke even financially every year, and the Society benefited from exposure to hundreds of potential subscribers and strong ties with local software organizations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, and Seattle.
- Transitioned the Software Engineering Radio podcast under the IEEE Software umbrella. Maintained the high quality of episodes and kept the listener audience. Each episode typically receives between 40 and 50 thousand downloads.
- Maintained effective and energetic Advisory and Editorial Boards for IEEE Software. Expanded the Advisory Board to help us build a critical mass of volunteers in areas of the world where the magazine was under-exposed (including India, China, and Brazil).
Acting as General Co-chair of 2013 ACM/IEEE ESEM was a great opportunity to show off Baltimore to an international research audience
- Program Co-Chair, Industry experience track: International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement. October 2015.
- General Co-Chair: ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM). October 2013.
- Member of Organizing Committee: IEEE Software Technology Conference. 2013, 2014, 2015.
- Program Co-Chair: ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM). September 2011.
- Experience Track Program Chair: International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE). May 2006.
- Program Co-Chair: ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering (ISESE). August 2004.
- Program Committee member for:
- ICSE Software Engineering in Practice (SEIP) track, 2015
- ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM): 2014, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
- ICSE New Ideas and Emerging Results (NIER) track, 2013
- ACM / IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering (ISESE): 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002
- IEEE International Software Metrics Symposium: 2005, 2004, 2003
Participants enjoying one of the great presentations from a mix of academic and industry speakers at our Software Expert Summit in Bangalore
As EIC of IEEE Software, one of my initiatives was to work with conferences to provide more recognition to the community for high quality papers that helped to bridge research and practice. Here for example is an award I presented to author Laurie Williams for important research done in conjunction with Microsoft. (With track chair Brian Robinson.)
- Finance Chair, Publications Board, 2017 – 2018
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 2015 – present.
- Editor in Chief, IEEE Software. January 2011 – December 2014.
- Associate Editor in Chief (empirical studies coverage area), IEEE Software. September 2007 – December 2010.
- Department Editor (“Voice of Evidence”), IEEE Software. September 2007 – December 2010.
- General Chair, IEEE
Software’s annual Software Experts Summit.
- 2011, hosted by the Computer History Museum, Silicon Valley
- 2012, hosted by the British Computer Society, London
- 2013, hosted by Microsoft, Seattle
- Workshop Chair: “Software Architecture Challenges in the 21st Century,” co-sponsored by IEEE Software, USC’s Center for Systems and Software Engineering, and UC Irvine’s Institute for Software Research (ISR), June 8, 2009.
- Reviewer for:
- IEEE Computer
- IEEE Software
- IEEE TSE
At ICSE 2013, recognizing another important paper with substantial practical relevance – with authors Haibo Lin, Sihan Li, and Tao Xie.
COMMITTEES or BOARDS:
- 2016-2019 Member, Executive Committee
- 2019 First VP
- 2015-2018 Member, Board of Governors
- 2018 VP for Membership and Geographic Activities
- 2017 Society Secretary
- 2017 Co-chair, Portfolio Review Committee
- 2017 Chair, Ad-hoc Committee on the Digital User Experience
- 2016 Society Treasurer
- 2015-2016 Chair, Magazine Operations Committee
- 2015 Chair, Ad-hoc Committee on Periodical Budgets
The opinions on this page are mine and are not necessarily those of the IEEE Computer Society or the IEEE.